As I sit in a café at the center of the East Atlanta village, the Lord is asking me to share some specific truths with you today. In this lifetime, I have had to overcome a great deal of trauma. At one point, the weight of it led me straight to my knees in utter desperation for divine intervention. That also led me into the comfy chair of a Christian counselor, where I received counseling over about four years. We covered every area where I possibly could have created or accepted some distorted view of God, myself, and others.
Deliverance counseling addresses all of the lies that somehow took root in our lives. These very lies (in the form of spiritual weeds) can become full-time residents in our heart, even destroying entire areas. Hence, we can arrive at a place where counseling becomes a necessity.
Here are 7 steps that I was taught about receiving God’s healing and truth in areas of my heart that had been filled with lies:
1. Begin to praise the name of the Lord. Thank Him for all the things He has done for you in your life. This action welcomes the presence of the Lord.
“Oh come, let us sing to the Lord; let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation! Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise! For the Lord is a great God, and a great King above all gods. In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. The sea is his, for he made it, and his hands formed the dry land.” Psalm 95:1-5
2. Ask the Holy Spirit to open your heart to receive what He shows you. Ask for a spirit of humility.
“Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you.” James 4:10
3. Pray for Jesus to show you (through revelations from the Holy Spirit) what lies you are believing in your heart. Ask Him to bring what is in darkness into light, that you may be made free.
“Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts;And see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way.” Psalm 139:23-24
4. Once specific lies come to mind, ask Jesus Christ for forgiveness in believing these lies. Repentance brings healing.
“If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” 2 Chronicles 7:14
5. Next, you need to renounce each lie with the power and authority Christ has given you. You have power over all darkness because Jesus has conquered the grave.
“I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”John 16:33
“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”Acts 1:8
6. Next, you will need to counter each lie with God’s truth. Emptying yourself of lies through His power is imperative, but you must also replace it with biblical truth.
“When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.” John 16:13
Here is an example of some verbiage: “I rebuke and renounce this lie that I am not worthy to be loved in the name of Jesus Christ. I refuse to believe this lie, because God’s word says that He loved me so much that He sent His only begotten Son – Jesus Christ to die for me (John3:16). I am worthy to be loved because I am made in His image according to Genesis 1:27″
7. If the enemy attempts to tempt you with this lie again, you should repeat the exact same steps. For example, if you’ve repeatedly struggled with feelings of unworthiness, immediately rebuke it with the power He’s given you and speak the truth over yourself, as in steps one through six.
“Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.” 1 Peter 5:8
Don’t be deceived; as the enemy continues to throw out these lies, they can (slowly but surely) perpetuate both low self-esteem and various fears. If you take no action, those lies will not go away. However, our intentional action (through the grace of our Lord) does make an impact, and we must be alert and cunning (with God’s strength). May His will be done, and may He alone be glorified!
Join us on Monday for an incredible interview with a sharp, Jesus-loving, deeply gifted counselor as she shares her heart on the power of therapy within the Christian community. Prepare to gain insight and perhaps to be challenged.
Know someone who would be encouraged by this post? Please pass it along through any of our various outlets shown below. Thank you! To God be the glory!
Are you currently a subscriber? If not, we would love to have you! Just click HERE to begin receiving daily, encouraging posts sent straight to your inbox each morning. Thank you!
Photo provided by latestfashionstylez.bp.com