While sitting at my desk with a handful of chocolate Grahams and a mug full of hot coffee, I find myself thinking about simplicity.
The beauty of simplicity.
I’m not sure about you, but I am one focused and goal-oriented individual. And I completely overwhelm myself with the most mundane details in life. So much that I often miss out on the smallest little joys throughout the day. I don’t want to do this anymore. I want to pay attention to what’s going on around me.
What is simplicity?
It is defined as the state of being simple, uncomplicated, or uncompounded. It is the freedom from pretense (false claims) or guile (deception).
Simple means easy. effortless. elementary. silly. natural
It’s not living a day with the pretense that if everything doesn’t get done, I will have failed as a person. Or the inability to enjoy a walk outside during lunch because there are more emails to be sent or even a blog to write. And that atrocious to-do list which seems to keep growing. I’m convinced a to-do list is a distraction in itself.
Simplicity for me is taking a deep breath in and exhaling slowly.
It’s taking a moment to notice life.
The tune that birds are chirping outside of my door. The way the sunlight caresses my desk in the morning. The smell of fresh coffee when I wake up. The stillness that enters into my soul when I just stop and be.
I have to ask myself, “what’s really the purpose in living if I cannot enjoy the little blessings God gives me each day?”
Our lives are to be enjoyed, beloved.
The Word instructs us in saying: “The wisdom of the prudent is to give thought to their ways, but the folly of fools is deception.” Proverbs 14:8
I want to seriously evaluate how I am perceiving my life each day. And I know in order to see Him, I must first open up my eyes.
In an effort to embrace this prudent instruction on living, I’m listing the small blessings He has given me today. In fact, I haven’t been able to see them until right now. And as I’m writing, I am reminded of just how important this is EVERYDAY.
1. I woke up beside the man I love.
2. God told me He loved me this morning. (sigh)
3. I got to catch up and pray with a very close friend of mine.
4. I was able to listen to beautiful music on Pandora while reading and writing today.
5. I have a Dad that I can call about anything, which I did, because my car has been acting weird, and he offered to fix it on the spot.
6. I had super thick and fuzzy socks to wear this morning while our cement floors were freezing cold (we live in a loft).
7. I am really healthy.
8. I was able to make a nutritious lunch for my husband today before I went out with a friend. (I enjoy him eating good food).
8. My car didn’t die while I was out driving today. Thank You Jesus!
9. I received a discount on my new battery (Favor from the Lord).
10. I had one of my favorite dishes today:Thai Panang Curry.
11. I could take a hot shower (I didn’t always have this while on the mission field).
12. I was poured into today by my old mentor (who is incredibly wise and encouraging).
13. I returned home to the man who loves me deeply.
14. I get to write on here once again.
15. And I had some super yummy chocolate graham cookies at my full disposal.
It takes wisdom to consider our ways. To stop and take a close look at the many (often hidden) blessings that He bestows upon us each day.
How has He blessed your life today?
I’d encourage you to pause and see the beauty of simplicity.
Photo courtesy of stockfreeimages.com